Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2016

The day my mind stopped working and I became a zombie for about 4 1/2 hours

*Warning: More details than you care to know. I just want to remember how God worked it out and every single thing*

It all started this past Monday, April 25, after posting about our dossier landing in China safely. My mind drifted to our Log in Date (LID) and wondered when that would come so we could officially be matched at some point. Maybe a couple weeks or a month from then?

So I had already decided that that was the day that I would start my second round of Insanity Max 30. That would be my big accomplishment for the day. *haha* I've had a hard time being motivated and had put my eye on April 25th as the day I would start again.

I went upstairs and worked out. Check.
I rushed through the shower. Check.
I went to the dentist for a filling. Check

On a side note....You have to understand that I live south of Dallas. In a relatively small community. Where once you've been somewhere more than one time people remember you. My dentist is no different and we've been going there for about 7 years. So these people know LOTS about me and my family. And my house. And my Christmas lights. And our adoption. And when my 15 year old drives the golf cart down to the creek to take pictures for a class project and kinda gets on to him about that not being safe. You know...that kind of thing. And I love it.  Anyhow, while there I talked about how this was the day that our dossier landed in China and I guess at any time we could get a call. Dentist said "well if I'm drilling and your phone rings I'll answer it and say 'We'll take him or her!'"  I dig that guy. Then when checking out at the dentist the sweet ladies who work up front asked me how the adoption process was going and I repeated the story that I told the dentist and also joked about how "chill" I was about everything while never letting my phone out of sight. We laughed and I carried on.

Next, run by the store to get an oven lightbulb. Check.

Then go get lunches for Rhett and Adiah because I promised them I'd come eat lunch with them. Check.

Drive to Subway for Adiah, Schlotzsky's for Rhett, and Panera for me because we're all a little high maintenance and can't eat from the same place. Check.

Arrive at school at 11:25 am and figure out how to get all these lunches plus drinks inside so I shove all the bags into my purse and precariously balance the drinks in my arms and hands.

Rhett's lunch is first so he arrives to the cafeteria and I begin gathering all the bags out of my purse and set up his lunch so he can eat.

At this point I decide that it might be a good idea to locate my phone which was under all those bags in my purse and set it on the table...you know....just in case.

And thats when I saw it....*missed call* from a (703) area code. Our adoption agency is in the (703) area code.


And then my mind stopped working.



I looked at Rhett and said "Hey buddy. I'm gonna need to step in the hallway and make a quick phone call, ok?"
He was all sorts of ok with that because SCHLOTZSKY'S!

My mind was racing because honestly maybe they were just calling to let me know our dossier had arrived in China. Maybe they were letting me know about a super fast Log in Date or something. OR......????

I dialed the number...

As the receptionist was connecting me to our family coordinator I just prayed and a tiny bit teared up. Because what if...?

And then I heard the words I'd been waiting for...."Hi Amy! I was calling to talk to you about a potential match for your family."

I was in literal shock.

She begins describing the child and what was going on and asked if I would like to call my husband to decide if she should send the file for an initial review. I said yes.

At that point I knew I needed to go eat with Rhett so I went back to the cafeteria (like a zombie) and sat down and sent Brian a text:

"I'm at lunch with Rhett. And I just got a call....."

Like.... all dramatic like....

Which was silly because he didn't even respond!  So after Rhett went out to recess and while waiting for Adiah to arrive to the cafeteria I called Brian.

He was in disbelief that we ALREADY got a call! I explained the child to him and he said "Yes, lets look at the file". So I called our FC back and she sent it over.

I finished lunch with Adiah (which consisted of a bunch of silly 9 and 10 year olds talking about snapchat photo filters. And could they all call me "mommy". What the what?) and then raced home so I could look on the computer with Brian while he was at work.

To say the rest of the afternoon was a complete whirlwind would be an understatement. We looked at the file and Brian began researching. He is a Dr so I trusted him with that instead of me because all I know is the internets sometimes turns up weird things and I don't trust myself to not go down crazy rabbit holes.

At one point in the afternoon, Brian calls me and explains some things in the file and feels like it all looks really good. We ask our FC if we can do a full review so that we can send the file to another Dr for his opinion.  She says yes and we now have 4 days to review and get medical opinions.

In the next couple of days we consulted with a Dr here in the U.S., prayed a lot, cried a lot (well, I did anyway because that is what happens to me when I process HUGE decisions), talked with the kids, waited on some more information, prayed some more, ate some chocolate (because duh!), and tried super hard not to get myself attached until we got a final official medical opinion. (easier said than done).

But here's the deal. We didn't need more information or a Dr's final opinion to tell us that this was our child. Brian knew it. The kids knew it. (Oh....Adiah KNEW it!) And I knew it. Even with all my "what ifs". But like I was telling a friend....I'm a processor. I'm the cautious one. I have to think through EVERY SINGLE detail. Sometimes that looks all pretty like a present. And sometimes that looks kinda teary and snotty. Because I wanted what was best for this child. And guess what? God chose us despite my silly fears. And I'm humbled.

So all that to say......


IT'S A..........................................










BOY!!!!!!

Oh I how I wish I could show you his precious little face! But I can't until we get official approval from *hina.  But trust me....presh! He's looking fly in his Nikes though, huh? He is 3 years old. And eventually his name will be Micaiah (we'll call him Kai) James *insert one of his Chinese names here* Woods.  In another post I'll tell you why we chose his name.

It's strange to see your child for the first time as a toddler. So much of his life that we've missed already. So much he won't be able to tell us. And that grieves me. But God has and will continue to knit us together in a beautiful way.  However that looks.

So now my mind wanders to what is going on 13 hours ahead of us on the other side of the world. Is he sleeping, eating, playing, laughing, crying? Just like we did with his sister and brother who also came home from *hina. Oh, I wish I could know.

Soon enough. We'll be together. This mama heart can't wait.



2 comments:

  1. Amazing. I love every bit of it. So sweet! Can't wait to hear more!!! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited and know God has chosen the right family for him - and know he will be blessing #11 😃 We can't wait to meet our grandson. (Love reading your blogs).

    ReplyDelete